Sunday, April 21, 2013

Re-covered Car Seat

I'm not going to lie. I'm pretty pleased with myself. Other than working full-time, keeping my child alive, not murdering my husband, and managing to cook sometimes, my accomplishments during this pregnancy have been minimal. While I was so productive during my pregnancy with E--sewing, knitting and crocheting up a storm--I've created NOTHING this entire pregnancy. "Nesting" has been replaced with practical planning. That is until this weekend.

Since E is 13 months and tiny and we are just a few weeks away from bringing little J into this world, we knew we needed another infant car seat. At 17 lbs, E is nowhere big enough to even contemplate a front-facing seat. However, we really didn't want to buy another infant seat for just 6-8 months of use considering our finances. Luckily for us, a former work colleague offered us a car seat and crib that their youngest was just out-growing. Big win!!!

As you can see, the seat was well-worn. While still perfectly functional, I wanted to clean it up--and I did. I took it all apart, and in doing so, I decided that I'd use some houndstooth fabric I bought at the thrift store a few weeks ago (4 yds for $2.99---wahoo!) to recover the seat. I knew it'd be a big undertaking, but my very dormant creative juices needed an outlet. So this weekend, amidst all three of us being sick (our new life since E has started going to daycare), I decided to make this thing happen.

Here's the before pics:

 You can see that it was pretty worn and dirty. I decided that simply washing it in the washing machine wasn't going to satisfy me.
  So all I really did was take apart each little piece of fabric with a seam ripper. That was BY FAR, the most time consuming part. At the recommendation of another blog I saw about recovering carseats, I took pictures as I did it in order to know how to put everything back together. Then, I made matching pieces in the new fabric and sewed it all back up! I sewed the original padding onto my new fabric. My friend gave it to us sans shoulder pads, but I made some because I don't want the straps rubbing into to E's skin. I also washed the straps and all the little fixtures in soapy water. In all, the conversion cost about $10 total. Not bad for a new car seat!


 ALL CLEAN!!!

Other than needing to make about 50 zillion freezer meals before my May 17th c-section, we are almost ready for another little one! Physically, that is. Emotionally and mentally ready for 2 kids 14 months apart? Not a chance.

4 comments:

Nicki Clark said...

You are seriously my sewing hero. It looks amazing.

sNick said...

You never cease to amaze, Erin. May 17th, woot!

Amy Lee Scott said...

Erin, you rock so hard! I don't even know how to process the fact that you did this amazing car seat thing amidst raising a child, dinners, and working full time. Full on hero. Also, you have mad sewing skillz :)

Brittney said...

That is super cute!