Monday, November 24, 2008

Lessons in the City of Light

Riding around the Paris metro last week, I was taught a valuable lesson about life. Did this lesson come from an encounter with a wizened beggar, a refugee, or a courageous single mother? Or perhaps a particularly poignant philosophy about the meaning of things written on the walls in black permanent marker? 

No, my friends. The source of this priceless piece of wisdom came by way of an advertisement for McDonald's.  It seemed to be everywhere and whenever I saw it I couldn't take my eyes off of it. The slogan was "Venez comme vous etes" which means simply "Come as you are." It's basically a way of saying the becoming fat and diseased is for everyone. They don't discriminate. All are welcome at MacDo.

In any case, on these advertisements are several pictures of people from various lifestyles. Notice especially the picture below in the top right corner. We see that guy all the time. A nasty biker guy, right? 
No, wrong. All the pictures happen to be of the same guy. He's just dressed differently. So now please direct your attention to the fox below to the left (or right depending on your particular taste).
All I can say is that I am definitely looking at all the hairy biker guys I work with MUCH more curiosity and wonder. 

1 comment:

elizabeth said...

Very interesting. It makes a good point. However, you can't change bad teeth, BO, leathery skin, etc...