Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Car

I got my car back yesterday. I finally feel like it's all over. Mostly.

On Friday, about 11 days ago, a kid (gang member) who I had written up for flagrant disrespect and disrupting my classroom was expelled permantently from the school. He was so angry that the principal called me and told me to keep my classroom door locked all day and not leave the building for a few hours. It was my prep day as school is only M-Th and kids come in Friday for make-up work. This kid showed up for make-up and was told he'd been written up and that it was the last straw. His stack of office refferals was too high and he was already on a behavior contract.

It was all a little intense and crazy. I called James and left a mssage telling him about my exciting mornng and that I had to be locked in the building. By the time he called me back, everything had changed. A couple hours after the incident, I went to my car, and found the handle ripped off & dents ALL OVER. I was stunned. Anger and then the tears. So many emotions. Fear being one of them.

The police came. I filed an insurance claim. I took my car in. Got a rental. Blah blah blah...

The weekend was crazy. I was afraid of what was going to come. Would this kid try anything else? Would my former gang bangers flip out and go shoot him? I was nervous to go back to school on Monday. I even had a dream that my rental had gotten vandalized and that one of my favorite kids was lying dead next to it. A bit scary.

Reality was that nothing happened. Teachers and staff kept it low key and so students dropped it quickly. I have gotten back into the groove of teaching and I really love the vast majority of my students. It's been so wonderful since then, actually. I just am extra careful when I get in and when I leave.

7 comments:

sNick said...

I'm pretty sure that would have scared the pants off of me. Maybe that was your problem in your last post.

Joking aside, I'm grateful your ok.

Amy Lee Scott said...

that is so crazy. i'm glad things are looking a little better...

Sheryl said...

you know don't even get me started. but reading your post and talking to you makes being called a dirty slut by an 8-year-old today not "that" bad. i'm glad things are coming together. muah.

Paula said...

Wow! What a scary thing to go through. I'm glad that you are okay.

Katie said...

wow. I thought I had rough kids...you are a brave girl. You should get a pepper spray gun.

Unknown said...

im so sorry for what happend Mrs. Reeder after hearing this i really do feel badd . but im glad its al over (:



MRS. REEDER ! MRS. REEDER ! MRS. REEDER !

Amy Lee Scott said...

EVILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i'm glad it looks like you will get your $$$. also, am making those biscuits pronto!