Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Our little Nora

I said I'd update once I started wearing clothes again. Well, I haven't. Though I did actually manage to put a bra on halfway through my mom's visit today, so there's been improvement. With a c-section incision and breastfeeding for the first time, it's been a struggle to wear much of anything.

Well, without going into many details (because I know I certainly don't care about all the details of other people's births) I'll briefly outline our little adventure that brought baby Eleanor home to us. Man, I love that little lady.

Here I am at about 2:30am Tuesday the 28th. We're about to go into the hospital to be induced. This was the last time I was fully dressed.
I reacted really badly to the IV (heart rate and blood pressure plummeted) so they had to wait til 6:00 to start the pitocin. It was the worst vagal response my nurse had seen in a healthy adult. I felt ridiculous. My nurse worried the epidural would do me in. But it didn't. Twenty-two hours later, after not having a progressing labor (I've inherited some body parts that don't work well with labor, hence this ending up a 3rd generation c-section) I went in just after 4 am on Leap Day for a c-section.

The c-section was scary. Not going to lie. And it was really hard to be the last to see and hold my sweet little baby. I had started shaking because of hormones about 30 minutes before the surgery and was shaking horribly through the entire thing.

After getting stitched up really quickly, I was whisked away to post-op where my little peanut breast-fed like a champ. Anyone who says that epidurals and medically assisted (c-section) labor do not produce babies who latch on and suck is beyond ridiculous. I was pumped so full of crap and that little miracle got to work right away--the nurses said she was easily a better nurser than 85% of babies they see born. So there. Since then, she's wreaked absolute havoc in my nipples. TMI, maybe. But really. Painful. We've since had a heart-to-heart and she's being kinder to them. Or perhaps she's destroyed the nerve-endings.

Here are some more pics. We need more of them while she's awake. But I promise not to put up too many. Cross my heart.

6 comments:

Staci said...

CONGRATULATIONS ERIN!!! I saw you at the adult session of stake conference and noticed you were prego! I wanted to talk to you, but didn't see you after the meeting. So glad she is hear and healthy and absolutely beautiful. I LOVE the name Nora! I hope you are getting some sleep!

Brittney said...

She is seriously so beautiful! I hope you have a rapid recovery :)

tiffany garfield photography said...

Oh man it sounds crazy! I'm so glad she got here safe and that you're ok. I heard recovery from a c-section is the pits. I hope you're doing well. She's adorable! I really don't like that you said you promise not to post too many? WHAT??!! Post more! I want to see this BABY! :) I called and left a message. No worries or stress about calling me back---I mean I get that you have stuff going on and any minute free is one you can use to sleep, or put clothes on, or possibly shower :) Miss you! Talk to you when I talk to you :)

sNick said...

Oh man, that little face... she is CUTE!!!

The Standrings said...

call me weird, but i love birth stories. she's a little doll, erin. congrats!

Kristin Lea Robinson said...

wow I can't believe all you went through. I am glad you are ok. I heard they are really hard to recover but you are amazing and I know you are doing well. I am going to call you soon. I have been freelancing and things have been crazy but I love you lots and think of you often.