Monday, July 28, 2008

Peer Pressure

I just applied for a job that I'm 98% sure that I don't want. Why, you ask? Peer pressure. Plain and simple. I'll do just about anything short of selling my organs if adequately convinced. And it probably doesn't take much to convince me. 

So I work at the MTC (Missionary Training Center) as a French teacher and teaching evaluator. I absolutely love my job. But I am graduating in a couple weeks and have been very much looking forward to saying goodbye to this part of the country. And when I say "very much" I mean that the only thoughts that are keeping me sane at this point are thoughts of me driving away from this place and starting a new life far far away.

Which is why I am surprised that about 10 minutes ago I just completed an application for a job that if I got, I would be expected to stick around another few years. Oi.

So here's what happened: 

Basically, my boss has been encouraging all his employees with a pulse and an ability to string coherent sentences together to apply for his job. I have been resistant and resolute in my decision to NOT apply for the job since even before I left for Israel. But strangely enough, I've felt actually really good about applying for the job that could potentially destroy all my dreams. So naturally, I've tried to fight such self-destructive  feelings. But today, on the very last day the job was open to applications, I sat down with my boss and somehow, he convinced me to run home and apply for his job. 

And I did. And I think I might just throw up.

2 comments:

tiffany garfield said...

NO WAY!!!! I was thinking about you today and wondering how your job search was going, only to find out that you applied to stay here? Are you sure? haha. Well, the fact that you did it and felt ok with it says a lot. If you do end up staying, you may want to move into a new place. Can I say that on your blog? Anyway, it will all work out very well for you like it always does. Let me know what you're doing when you know what you're doing. :) Also, I'm leaving to CA this week but next week lets hang out--sound good? Love you!

elizabeth said...

I'm sure he's not trying to convince anyone with a pulse to apply. You are very qualified, and that's why they want you. No need to throw up, if you get the job, you could still always turn it down. Best of luck. Keep me updated!