Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Arts and Crafts

Given the fact that "La Boheme" is now crashing at her parent's house (and yes, by "crashing," I mean "living at until she figures out what she's doing with her life") I figured I had better change the name of my blog to "the Mooch." It'd be false advertising otherwise.

And yes, I am a mooch. I own up fully to this fact. What can I say? I like free things. I've realized that out of the 4 cell phones that I have owned, I have only paid for one of them. The stereo in my car? Free. A healthy portion of my wardrobe? Free. All the mints in my purses? Free (thanks to those big bowls full of them sitting by restaurants doors just waiting for greedy hands and large purses). 

I've pretty much spent the entire year, up to this point, mooching off the goodwill of those around me.  I've crashed on a couch in Provo, a spare bedroom in Tel-Aviv, and now I'm in the guest room at my parent's home in Mesa.

But enough of all that. I want to share what I did today. I'm quite proud of it. I mod-podged a lamp shade using little things that I saved from my first trip to France. I was 18 and absolutely nuts--I just bought a ticket and went by myself. It was a pretty pivotal experience for me and was probably pretty instrumental in creating the nomadic lunatic that I am today.

So I now have a lamp shade to remind me of that amazing experience. Ticket stubs, maps, and brochures now adorn a lampshade on a really cool lamp I bought today at Goodwill for $4.99. While I do not easily part with my money, this was well worth it.  

7 comments:

brett and carly said...

Well done! I like it very, very much. :)

Patricia said...

like it much.

i thought you were moving to dc!

Unknown said...

loves it!

ps: dc?

Nicki said...

oh! this lamp is so Erin!! So charming and lovely, just like you :) nice work lady.

Staci said...

haha to "The Mooch" header. I'm SURE your parents LOVE having you! Are you still taking off to DC in Sept or did your plans change?

I LOVE the lamp! What a great idea to do with the misc. stuff we always collect from trips. I never would have thought of doing that, but I love it!

tiffany garfield said...

Just wanted to say thanks so much for the gift!! You and Katie are so great! I love you guys! And sweet lamp! That's such a great idea. You're so well rounded--how are you good at everything? Seriously. Love you, Twink

The Hills said...

very creative! love it! hey are you running the turkey trot? it seems like that is the "once a year" i happen to get to see you. if that...