Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Slightly Disturbing

I have been doing market research on medical device companies in Israel and today, while researching a company, I came across this perplexing and potentially disturbing photo. Featured in this photo is equipment used in endoscopic surgery. When I saw it, I felt really weird--something was seriously amuck with this picture. What, for instance, is that sitting on the plate in the upper left hand corner? I slice of thinly sliced (raw) meat? Umm, that's kind of weird on multiple levels. 

a) Food and surgical equipment never mix. I picture some surgeon scarfing down a sub sandwich in the operating room. Food and surgical equipment go together like popular kids and the goth freaks in a high school social scene--they just don't. 

b) Considering that when one thinks of surgery (minimally invasive, or not) one thinks of human flesh and scalpels. Placing a slice of what looks like raw meat on a plate next to objects that are inserted into peoples bodies is twisted.

c) Most disturbing is that this is clearly deliberate and not a simple oversight. Which leaves me with more questions like, was the plate already there, a snack waiting to be consumed, and they just thought "what the heck, throw that thing in the picture--it'll balance it out" or was it intentionally prepared for the purpose for the photo shoot?

These questions baffled me for the rest of the day. And even now, I'm puzzled as ever. And a little disturbed. Maybe even a little hungry.

No comments: