Sunday, June 1, 2008

Three weeks and counting

Today was a pretty eventful day. I stepped in vomit. 

I was on the bus home from the Israeli Ministry of Interior where I had to extend my visa here in Israel. I had an appointment for 10:30, showed up right on time and made my presence known as there was no one other soul waiting to be seen in the waiting room. they told me they'd call me in as soon as they were ready. I then watched as the three women working in the office surfed the internet and complained about their children and husbands for the next 30 minutes (apparently they didn't realize that there are some American who actually do speak Hebrew). I reminded them of my appointment and sometime after 11:00, one lady finally agreed to process my visa extension. Feeling quite put-out by the way the country is run, I hopped on the bus headed towards my home. I gave my 5.30 shekels to the yarmulke-wearing bus driver and made my way towards the back of the bus.  A whiff of something foul hit my nostrils, but I thought little of it, since buses full of people, especially in foreign countries, tend to be a little on the ripe side (in my experience, at least). I bee-line straight for a large empty space in the middle of the crowded bus. I thought I was so smooth, stealing such a prime spot before someone else could get it. Before I could feel too pleased with myself, a young Israeli soldier pointed at my feet. I looked down and saw my feet in the vomit that was strewn across the floor and across one seat. Suddenly it became very clear why no one was in the big empty space in the middle of the bus. Luckily, there was only a little vomit that ended up on my shoes and I managed to wipe it off on a clean part of the floor. The soldier just sort of stared at me pitifully.

 As I stood there, feeling stupid and on the verge of dry heaving, I wondered what kind of country I was in that would leave a large pile of vomit in the middle of a public bus. People around didn't seem near as disgusted as I. It was just a small inconvenience as it took up space in an already crowded bus. 

Needing reassurance that I wasn't the stupidest person within a 5 km radius, I stood watching as the bus stopped and opened its doors to the unexpecting masses, secretly hoping that someone would daftly step in the vomit just as I had. To my great dismay, of all the 50 or so people that entered the bus before I got off, not one even came near the vomit. It was as though they expected it upon entering. I mean, why wouldn't there be vomit on the floor of a city bus in a Tel-Aviv suburb? It seemed common place and normal. These people were roll-with-the punches kind of people and it made me nervous. 

I had just waited nearly 45 minutes at the whim of the all powerful Israeli visa counselors to get my visa extension approved. The week before, I waited for well over two hours to even get the appointment I had today. All because I want to stay in this country. As I stood in the sweaty, packed bus wreaking of vomit and body odor, I wondered why exactly I did that. Why was I subjecting myself to all this!?!

The doors then opened and I exited the bus and was about to head home when I noticed the fantastic little shwarma/shnitzel place near my home. I smiled recounting all the delicious meals I'd enjoyed there. 

And quite suddenly, all the waiting and even the vomit became worth it. Man, I love schnitzel.

3 comments:

Staci said...

Ughhh...VOMIT! Nasty. I'm sorry you had to sit in that bus with that smell, but I did laugh at the thought of nobody else stepping in it, because they "expected" it to be there!

heather said...

That is gross. I'm glad it didn't effect (affect?) your appetite!

tiffany garfield said...

Vomit that's great! What's even better is that it was someone elses! haha. SICK!! Miss you and love yoU! We find out what we're having on Wednesday! I wish I could call you and tell you! I will email you instead.