Wednesday, June 4, 2008

WARNING:

This is just an advanced warning to those who are going to see and interact with me in the next few months. Turns out, I've become far more Israeli than I realized. And when I say Israeli, I mean unpleasant.

Geraldine, my Swiss friend, arrived yesterday and it's been a real blast hanging out with her. However, she's alluded to the fact that I've become a little cold and no-nonsense. Being cold and no-nonsense, I really didn't let it get to me.

But that's a lie, because in the end it really did after I though about it. I've come to the realization that in adapting to my surroundings in order to survive, I'm just not quite a sweet and outwardly kind as I used to be. Or rather, I'm more or a jerk. When I first got here, and someone would give me the wrong change at the grocery store, I'd say, ever so sweetly and with a darling little smile, "Excuse me, but I think you owe me five more shekels..."

They would then look at me like I beat puppies just for kicks and not say a single word. I'd then continue, this time showing them my receipt and my change, "See...you gave me the wrong change. I gave you a twenty and..." 

This would continue till I finally got sick of it and left. 

But not too much later, I got wise to the way these people work. The next time someone gave me the wrong change, I got awfully testy and said loudly with big hand motions, "What the heck!?! This is 3 shekels short? Where's my money?"

The cashier quickly and without expression gave me the three shekels. It's not that I was being rude, I was just acting like the rest of the people here. If you don't act that way, people will walk all over you. Seriously, that's the way it is. I learned that quickly and so basically what I'm trying to say, is I'm an even bigger jerk than I was before. So sorry. In advance. I will try and be better, but I'm not going to make any promises. 

So back off.

4 comments:

elizabeth said...

Maybe it was the big hand motions that got you the change. I'd like to see you talking with your hands when I come back. I highly doubt you have changed that much.

Catherine said...

No worries. Friend from church is trying to get pregnant and wanted my experiences of pregnancy. I told her I handled it like a champ but for some reason Brandon was hard of hearing to the extent that he needed me to constantly yell at him. He was also much more stupid and got things wrong all the time.
I said this with a smile but the girl still looked at me like I need marriage counseling!
Chloe and I can't wait to see you, not to mention an entire litter of pups.

Unknown said...

oh erin. i love you. and i wish i could have seen you and your big hand movements in action. please come to dc before i leave. pretty please?

Sabriel said...

oh israel. i can't wait to be around human beings again.