Friday, June 6, 2008

The Internet Thief

It's 11:26pm and I'm sitting on a metal bar outside the cafe with WiFi (it is closed) and it seriously smells like pee. My bum is now starting to hurt.

A lack of comfort aside, I figured I'd fill in on the past few days. Last night we stayed at a hostel in Jerusalem that was pretty dang ghetto. But, I figured it was part of the experience. And oh, what an experience it was. 

The hostel was right in the Old City, so we bused into Jerusalem early (from Tel-Aviv) and checked in and threw some stuff in our private room (I'll post pics later, PROMISE). We then went out and roamed the Old City and haggled with the sometimes sleazy dealers at the market. Luckily, we met a really nice guy who was selling gorgeous jewlery from his fathers store. He made Geraldine a fabulous necklace on the spot as I chatted with him in Hebrew/English. After she handed over the mula, he told me how much he liked me and said I could pick out any pair of earrings I liked as a gift from him. Never one to turn down free things, I picked a really nice set of earrings. I love them. Both because they are good-looking and because I tend to love anything free. Especially food.

So we roamed the city and at about 5pm, Assad, a really fabulous Palestinian guy who worked for the US Embassy came and picked us up to take us around. I've talked about him before. He is wonderful. Anyways, he knows the manager of the BYU Jerusalem Center (his old school chum) so he got us a special tour outside of hours. Then he showed us some really cool stuff and I took a picture with a camel (great story I will tell later when I post the pic). We then went to a local arab restaurant which was AMAZING. We were there for about 3-4 hours. No joke. We had a little drama-rama too when a large groups of Assad's friends came in and saw him eating with too very non-arab girls (e.i. us). We got some strange looks. That sat right next to us and listened in (quite obviously) to our conversation. He denied it, but I think he'll have some explaining to do...

Well, I really wanted to go on, but my butt is really hurting from this metal bar. Well, the left side hurts, the right side is basically numb.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How is your butt now?

Sabriel said...

you stayed in a HOSTEL??? and didn't tell me!! what the?