Sunday, June 22, 2008

McKenna

I love my little sister for a lot of reasons. Of course, one reason is I have to--she is my sister. But she's actually a pretty enjoyable person. A little quirky (can't be sure where that comes from...) and always surprising. 

When she was nine and I was in my junior year at university, we were talking on the phone when she informed me that she had begun naming all the cars belonging to my family members. Amused, I asked what she would name my SUV (which was amazing, by the way, and I sometimes tear up thinking about how nice it was and how crappy my current ride is). 

"Well, that depends," she said with a serious tone, "is it a boy or a girl?" 

"Oh, I dunno," I responded, "and I'm not quite sure how to figure that out."

As though it was the most logical and simple solution ever, she exclaimed, "Just look underneath it!"

This is how my sister thinks. Or thought. That was five years ago--and she was nine. But while rummaging through my little sister's purse Sunday in search of a mint, what I found reassured me that she is still pretty funny. When I asked her why exactly she carried around six containers of hand sanitizer, goggles and a pack of baby wipes in her purse, she responded simply looking me right in the eyes and shrugging, "You just never know."

Later, I found her purse and photographed the contents. Evil, I know, but I couldn't help it. I just had to know exactly what she had in there. So here's what I found:

1 gold wallet
8 bottles of fruity-smelling lotions
6 bottles of antibacterial hand sanitizer
1 pen
1 yellow highlighter
18 lip moisturizers
1 tub of vaseline
1 candy bar from England
1 pair of orange socks
1 pair of swimming goggles
1 pair of sunglasses
1 tin of mints
1 package of baby wipes

I told her later what I had done. I had to because I wanted to know why she carried around all that she carried around. Her response, "I just do. You never know."

Right. One must always be prepared. You never know when you are going to be trapped in a dirty elevator with a bunch of people with really really dry skin and lips and you get cold feet and a hankering for chocolate. And when that happens, you can bet she'll be prepared.  

3 comments:

Catherine said...

Comforting that we may get older but not really grow up. Some young moms aren't much better with their diaper bags!

tiffany garfield said...

Evil! I would have killed you if you did this with my purse! We'll I don't really carry around a purse--I opt to stick things in my backpocket so there really is no chance that you would ever do this to me. I think it's hilarious that she carries around so much at such a young age, I can't imagine here future purses! P.S. I'm so glad you're back!!! I'm excited to see you!!!

elizabeth said...

McKenna cracks me up. Why does she have baby wipes? I guess it's because you just never know. McKenna is wise beyond her years and is very prepared. What grade is she going into?