Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Hey, where did I put my acid wash jeans? Yeah, the pleated ones.

I had a really upsetting experience today. I'm feeling just a bit shaken and need reassurance that the world is not going down the tubes while I am trapped in an office with a creepy guy who stares at my chest.

It was a perfectly fine day until I saw 4 pairs of overalls during a 5 minute stretch while on the bus home from the embassy today. And these pairs of overalls were not just lying on top of someone's trash, or being sported by the city's homeless or born-again redneck tourists visiting the Holy Land. Those things would have been expected and hardly caught my attention. However, in this case they were being worn by 4 trendy-looking Israeli girls (who seemed to have no obvious defect other than the overalls) walking the swanky street of Rehov Dizengoff in downtown Tel-Aviv. More distressing still was the fact that out of the four, THREE had on belts and let the overall straps hang down to their sides, bringing flashbacks galore from the awkward middle school years. 

Okay, and I guess technically the fourth girl was wearing more of a denim short with built in suspenders like the picture below shows, but it still was not something I expected to see on someone trying to be sexy. Maybe I'm completely off, though.  

In my quest for visuals, I did a google image search and found the following pictures. Next to eachother.
I mean, other than about 150 lbs, a shirt and the obvious gender difference, I don't see that much of a variance between Bobby-Jo here and Miss Trendy.

I just don't understand what is happening? Don't even get me started on the high-waisted mom-jeans that I am seeing people who look like they should know better. I can't help but wonder why on earth this is happening.

Perhaps that in the face of war, global terrorism, and economic uncertainty people are longing for the security of the past. As the oil fields dry up, the rain forests are destroyed, the ice caps melt, and as we long for a cleaner safer world, are we seeking refuge in the memories of better days? Do we find that by dressing in the past, we can escape the realities of the present?

All I can say is whoever it was that decided to resurrect two of the most unflattering denim monstrosities ever conceived by man should be shot by a firing squad or guillotined.    

3 comments:

Sheryl said...

You are going to TOTALLY FREAK OUT, but I love overalls, and just the other day I told my friend that I couldn't WAIT until the style came back, b/c styles always do. Uh oh...

Unknown said...

sick. that sweet cut out was so sick

Katie said...

AWESOME! I loved the picture of that guy. You made my day! ha I'm still laughing. I told Marc he needs to go into work like that one day. ha