Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Jackpot


Part of my job right now is approaching American companies in Israel about sponsoring the big 4th of July event at the ambassador's residence this year. We have to raise at least $70,000. We went to a bunch of companies and were trying to think of more. So we decided to approach Crocs. I know, I know. Ugliest shoes ever, right? But EVERYONE in Israel wears them. No joke. When my hosts made a list of things to bring to survive Israel, they included "crocs" to the list. I was skeptical. But I got here and everyone seriously wears them. I've seen orthodox Jewish people wearing crocs.  No joke.

So I found the number for the Crocs rep here in Israel. Karen called and got an appointment with the head honcho to sell him the sponsorship. And she sold it. They are in for big bucks AND a healthy dose of schmoozing got us some serious freebies. Karen got a sweet tote bag that hasn't even been released herein Israel and I got a pair of awesome shoes (that go for 400 shekels, roughly $114). They are leather on the outside and super comfy.

Life is good, my friends. Free things bring me unspeakable joy.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I love free stuff. I just need to figure otu how to get some.

Unknown said...

oh bless the crocs. i'm so glad they don't have the holes in them. do the people of israel like to decorate their crocs with things that go in the holes? i'm told it is all the range with the kids here in the states.