Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Technologic

I've never been what you call "technologically savvy." If it has buttons, I usually try and avoid it. But seriously, I was bred to be this way. 

The microwave that is still in my parents home was made sometime in the 70s and has a turn-dial. It's the only microwave my parents have ever owned in their married life (29 years). I grew up microwaving things for "about" 3 minutes since you could never be certain. When I went away to university and was forced, for the first time, to see how far microwave oven technology had come, I felt like a viking trying to figure out how to sail a yacht. The other girls in my dorm would look at me with confusion and pity as I would just punch random buttons till the microwave started to cook my hot pocket. They would ask, perplexed, if I had ever used a microwave before. Sure, I'd say. Just never one younger than me. 

By the end of my freshman I was proud to say that I had learned to use a modern microwave without getting strange stares from anyone else in the common area of my dorm. But it left me with a serious complex with computers, digital cameras, ipods, and cell phones.

When I returned home from the mission in France, my parents had moved into a new house full of fancy gadgets that I couldn't work. I couldn't work the oven, or any of the entertainment centers controlled by a massive remote control with a computer screen on it. I couldn't even figure out how to watch TV. In fact, I was told not to even try because my family was certain I'd screw something up. Luckily, I could still microwave leftovers.  I found much solace in that turn-dial microwave.

To this day, I can't really work a cell phone without lots of coaching. When the embassy gave me one to use here, it took me a day to figure out how to change it from Hebrew to English then another week or so to figure out how to program numbers in the phone and send a text message. My cell phone makes me feel stupid. I've given up using it and just give out my e-mail to people. 

Which brings me to my point. Despite my shortcomings with everything else electronic, I actually love my macbook and everything that comes with it--especially the amazing world that is the blogosphere. You don't have to be savvy anything to enjoy this wonderful place. I mean, you've read how capable I am when it comes to these kind of things and look, I can manage a blog. These things are idiot-proof and allow incompetents like me to feel like they are somehow harnessing the latest technology and are an active part of the 21st century. 

In addition to validating my button-pushing capacities, the blogosphere also accounts for a great deal of my daily reading (in fact, click on themeanestmom to read my favorite blog ever) and keeps me feeling like I'm not so far away from the people I love. 

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though I can't use most of it, I join Kip in boldly declaring that I love technology. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i am in the same exact spot, my friend. i'm glad the sis's blog got a shout out :)